Author Topic: Topicless  (Read 210662 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Topicless
« Reply #2370 on: March 22, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
I think there's a better angle on this problem, but I'm just :popcorn: over here.  It's all good.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2371 on: August 12, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
SOOO . . .

I realize strangers out there don't know this about me, BUT:

If the back of your phone is facing me, I assume you're secretly filming me, and I'm judging you harshly for it.

TOO BAD.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2372 on: August 30, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
It's that time when my workboots need repairs.  Shoe Goo / Goop products are my traditional method, here, as specialized products are usually as expensive as my boots, which . . . well, they're for people who buy $200 workboots.  I get it.  I've heard reasonable things about the Gorilla Glue equivalent to Shoe Goo, which allegedly (A) flows better, (B) self-levels better, and (C) doesn't solidify in the tube within two weeks of the first time you use it.

BUT I already had the Marine Goop, which is the more UV-resistant kind, so, fine.  The Goop products stick like hell, dry rubbery and flexible, and take forever to get abraded away, if you make a halfway decent attempt to clean the work piece.  You can either arrange to clamp the shoe back into shape (newspaper and aluminum foil and plastic wrap can help a lot), or you can get the pieces close enough and let the Goop bridge the gap, which it'll do without a problem.  I don't need my boots to look like new, so a new 3 mm gap between the toecap and end of the sole doesn't matter to me.  Also, am teh lazy.

Goop is hard to spread and smooth neatly.  It's kind of a pain in general to work with.  I read online that you can thin it with acetone.  LOL.  Weird results.  It does soak up the acetone a bit, and it gets sort of soft and goopy, not quite to Vaseline levels.  I could not spread it usefully with a brush.  It was still stickier than was convenient.  I spread it with a small piece of stiff plastic instead, and whatever.  Good enough.  BUT it's been over 48 hours, and it's still sticky to the touch, which is way longer than its usual curing / skinning time, so clearly the acetone had some effect.

I'm assuming the acetone will eventually dry out of it completely, but who knows?  Maybe it'll never cure, now.  We'll see.

I've heard that typical spar urethane works great on work boots, but I haven't tried it yet.  This would mean workmat, masking tape, and multiple coats.  Easier to work with, more time.  Apparently a spar urethane finish over leather remains flexible enough, and apparently it'll stick to a rubber sole well enough to glue the thing back on, although I have my doubts.  But maybe next time.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2373 on: August 30, 2019, 04:18:30 PM »
I use segments of used cable tie to spread Goop, and then throw them away. And then I throw the tube of Goop away because I know it's not going to live until the next time I need it and I'll just have to buy more anyway :galm:

I try to avoid using acetone. I've probably inhaled enough acetone in my life to break every diabetes breathalyzer in existence. The worst part about it is how after a while you stop smelling it because it binds irreversibly to your receptors so you don't know you're in trouble until you get dizzy.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2374 on: August 31, 2019, 10:47:58 AM »
Yeah, that's . . . yikes.

I figure all the solvents are bad, even if not equally bad, but this was 'acetone' in the sense of 'nail polish remover'.  I figured I'd start weak and work my way up.  On the other hand, it does mean there are other chemicals in there that might fark with the Goop.  I bought a cheap-ass brand that doesn't have aloe vera or glycerine in it, but I'm sure it has petroleum distillates and probably detergents.

But what the hell.  I was working outside.  Other than acetone, the manufacturer says toluene and naphtha will thin it, so . . . maybe next time I'll try Ronson lighter fluid.  :whatever:

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #2375 on: September 02, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2376 on: September 02, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
:rollin:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2377 on: September 03, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
:lol:

You can sand Goop products pretty successfully if you use a fine-grit sanding sponge.  Before you put them in your vagina, I mean.  :eyeroll:  You can almost tool the surface well if you use a wet credit card or wet mini foam brush cut short enough to be firm.  Those foam brushes always have too much foam after the end of the plastic spatula inside.  Just not designed well.

You can also color Goop with some liquids and some powders.  I never bother anymore, but I successfully produced plausible-from-at-least-a-foot-away black 'shoe surface' using Shoe Goo and black RIT dye powder.  I just carefully dusted the Goo before it fully cured.

edit:  Fortunately, I've not had to use that sentence before.

Otherwise, some dyes will stick OK to the cured surface.  Sharpies do OK, although you'll have to re-apply periodically.  Shoe polish . . . is just wax, basically.  It doesn't add much color.

pdrake

« Reply #2378 on: September 03, 2019, 03:53:35 PM »
have you tried sugru?

https://sugru.com/
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2379 on: September 04, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
I have tried Sugru, but not for shoe repair.  :hmm:

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #2380 on: September 04, 2019, 10:51:15 PM »
The fact that not only I, but my wife as well, resemble the characters in the Basic Instructions webcomic has led to several of our friends having a hard time not believing that comic isn't about us.

It doesn't help that I sometimes have very similar conversations with my wife as show up in those comics.
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2381 on: September 05, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
Actually, that sounds kind of helpful.  :hmm:

UPDATE:  The Goop on my boots is . . . mostly dry.  Still sticky, and it's been about eight freaking days.  Also, it shrank slightly, which I've not seen from Goop before.

SO my judgment here is:  Don't use acetone to thin Goop, or at least don't use nail polish remover.  :shrug:

I think it'll dry enough so I can recoat or try coating over the Goop with something else.  I didn't make the boots worse (they were pretty beat-up already), so it's a no-harm, no-foul situation.  If I had more time, I'd do a more proper experimentation, but I'm gonna go look for YouTube videos of other people experimenting with the stuff instead.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2382 on: September 09, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »
Now that I'm a frequent flier at the podiatrist's, I have no need for these products.  I have the orthotics and I've been instructed to buy new shoes every time they start to wear so I don't fuck up my ankles again and again.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM