Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 191078 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2025 on: June 25, 2018, 03:38:50 PM »
I'm going to torment my son with The Saga Begins in the key of meow!  :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2027 on: July 16, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
My lips are sealed.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2028 on: July 16, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
 :hmm:

I predict money will be made.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2029 on: July 16, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
Bobdammit. Now I have that song stuck in my head.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2030 on: July 19, 2018, 01:03:45 AM »
I'm down.  Maybe I'll take the wife.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2031 on: October 02, 2018, 05:16:37 PM »
I don't know how much of it is just my having reached A Certain Age, but some older stuff . . . when I hear it now, I'm struck all over again by how good it is.  Not just catchy or whatever, but well done.  Just right.

Bruce Springsteen, Born in the USA and earlier

Sultans of Swing and Walk of Life

Changes and Major Tom

Tom Petty stuff like Running Down a Dream

It hits what it swings at so far out of the park that it's ridiculous.  A lot of the Arena Rock was so carefully produced that it's kind of amazing even when I find it embarrassingly trivial.  It's just perfected. 

I realize that since the 90s a lot of pop music is either intentionally messy and raw or intentionally over-produced and artificial, and maybe that's why so many people find the synthpop of the 80s so amazing now.  But the Bowie and Springsteen stuff, especially, is like the perfect crystalization of an idiom that it sometimes makes it feel like no one else ever did that kind of thing.

It's easy to pick amazing things out of an entire decade or more of pop art, because there was so much of it, but it still strikes me. 

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2032 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:44 PM »
Sultans of Swing is awesome.  The wife likes Dire Straits, I never really got into them much, but that song is amazing.  I also love the Beverly Hillbillies song by Weird Al so I must grant them that too.

I've been exposing Ian to old stuff lately like Paper Lace and Sweet

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2033 on: October 03, 2018, 10:51:08 AM »
I recently heard Martin Scorsese say something to the effect of people like what was being made when they graduated high school. He was referring to people's favorite films, but it applies to music too. But beyond that, I have no exposure to new music, so I can't even talk about it with any authority at all, but it does seem the best is behind us. I was listening to something classical this morning, thinking that type of investment in music is extinct, be it rock, art rock, soul, whatever. I'm sure there are a few exceptions, but I think it's safe to say there are no where near as many artists anymore.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2034 on: October 03, 2018, 04:17:25 PM »
The funny thing is, some of what I think is amazing and nostalgic is stuff I liked when I was in high school, and some is stuff that I was aware of but wasn't that impressed by.  It's not all from that era, although it's mostly from that era or earlier to around when I was born.

But, for instance, until the last several years, I really was not impressed by "Mr. Blue Sky", although I really liked all of Time and Balance of Power.  And until maybe ten or fifteen years ago I respected Bowie but found him too pretentious and posturing, whereas now he seems ironic and iconic and trailblazing enough to get away with the exact same, say, "Let's Dance" or "China Girl".  I found those insufferable when they came out.

I do have a huge tendency to latch onto a band for an album or two and then simply stop following them, and I'll still be listening to those same two albums twenty-five years later.  I'm not sure why.  My brother thinks Nebraska is Springsteen's best album, for instance, and probably owns a dozen of his albums, whereas the only albums of his I've ever actually owned are Asbury Park and Born in the USA.  And I didn't like Born in the USA at first.

I do like stuff made since I graduated high school, and some of it consistently amazes me.  Hell, I don't know.  I fully admit that stations that play what was popular when I was in junior high and high school are my favorite radio stations now, but music radio now is a completely different animal, so I'm not sure what that proves.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2035 on: October 03, 2018, 06:12:48 PM »
Queen, and more specifically Freddie, is someone who I didn't appreciate near as much back in the day. I mean, I've always liked Queen, but I now respect them on a whole different level. What you said about Bowie being too pretentious and posturing fits here too, but for some reason I never felt that way about Bowie as much as Freddie. Now that outrageous pretentiousness and posturing is part of what makes Freddie so great to me.

For me, artistry in music peaked several years before I graduated high school, so I don't totally buy Scorsese's theory, but I get what he's driving at. I don't know if you have to really categorize it as nostalgia. It's what you were fed during your formative years, so you compare everything to it, as well as identify to it and take some form of ownership in it, even if you don't even like it.

Exhibit A
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:55:05 PM by mo »

pdrake

« Reply #2036 on: October 03, 2018, 10:47:46 PM »
These are both being developed for the small screen now.

http://www.gimletmedia.com/homecoming

http://www.gimletmedia.com/sandra

Finished each in a day, pretty fun.

you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2037 on: October 04, 2018, 04:27:37 PM »
I'm curious what you do while you listen to these. Drive? Do graphic work? Do you find it hard to focus, or get distracted?

pdrake

« Reply #2038 on: October 04, 2018, 07:58:01 PM »
CAD and 3D stuff which is pretty mindless to me at this point.
you'd be surprised how much a nutsack can stretch. you have to stretch it yourself, not a woman. they don't do it quite right.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2039 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:31 PM »
They sound interesting.  Adding them.