Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 194812 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1500 on: March 14, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
"Pop music's answer to Uwe Boll" made me :galm: and then :detta:...

Well in five years or so she can star in Blood Rayne 7 then...
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #1501 on: March 14, 2011, 06:36:52 PM »
And ALSO: that web site has informed me (yes, I didn't know) that Avril Lavigne was now divorced. FP, are you all over that or what? To quote Jimmy in Quadrophenia, gettt in there my son.

Yeah she's 26 and still acts like a mall punk teenager, so perfect for me  :D

I guess I should be jelly for not coming up with something like Ark Music Factory. It's like Lou Pearlman meets My Super Sweet 16, going after one of the last sources of real revenue in the country (Rebecca's deleted Twitter said something about her parents owning an airport?) -- rich people spoiling their bratty kids. There's no doubt they've been making upfront cash on this, that's why they've pulled a lot of their content since the weekend...the money was already made. Still, this is unprecedented; even the Antoine Dodson and Double Rainbow Guy phenomena took a couple of weeks to gestate.

My fave comment re "Friday" so far: "It was nice of her to ask Gary Sheffield to do a guest rap in the middle of the song."

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1502 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:58 PM »
Ha! I didn't get that far.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #1503 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »
SXSW live music streams: The Roxy on Ustream, Livestream's schedule, IFC stream, NPR

Fitz and the Tantrums are coming up on the Roxy stream in a half hour or so...that's a really good band to check out if you haven't yet. Sort of a retro blend of r&b sixties and New Romantic eighties, very tight.

(eta for history: Rebecca Black now has over ten million views and the song is a hit on iTunes and even the girl in the back seat started a Tumblr and we are now headed for the first actual Friday since the meme hit big, after which presumably the whole thing will be over and forgotten, but who knows? We are on new ground here)

(eta2: reading that Tumblr, I see that RB will be on Good Morning America tomorrow to perform the song? At which point I'm guessing she will be ritually sacrificed by George Stephanopolous or something)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:32:08 AM by First Post »

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1504 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
Heck yeah. A lot of my latest fave bands I picked up from SXSW streams. Great stuff. :detta:

(eta2: reading that Tumblr, I see that RB will be on Good Morning America tomorrow to perform the song? At which point I'm guessing she will be ritually sacrificed by George Stephanopolous or something)

Pay to see that, I would /yoda
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1505 on: March 17, 2011, 09:36:45 PM »
In the future, everyone will have their fifteen million views of fame.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1506 on: March 17, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
Heck yeah. A lot of my latest fave bands I picked up from SXSW streams. Great stuff. :detta:

Pay to see that, I would /yoda

To Tivo or not to Tivo...
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #1507 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
I just posted the "rebecca black on GMA" clip on Facebook:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgRUn_xWlZ0

No ritual sacrifice, but the whatever that made her okay with spending the money to make a vanity video seems to be giving her thick enough skin in the backlash that "it's the worst video ever". Also it's gotten like 2 million downloads on iTunes, or something, so she's like "well, it's catchy, it's doing what it's supposed to do". Handling it pretty well for a 13 year old I would say.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #1508 on: March 19, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
Watching how tv news does small things tells you not to trust anything they say on actual news stories. They pick their angle beforehand and work that exclusively.

Rebecca you have a big hit! "yeah it's amazing--" BUT CYBERBULLYING!! "well I don't--" WHAT WAS SAID THAT HURT YOU THE MOST??? "I'm not really--" BUT LET ME READ YOU SOME OF THE SHITTY THINGS PEOPLE ARE SAYING!!!

(After hundreds of articles about this all week. The point isn't even that it's "bad" really, it's that it hits all the marks and is still "off" somehow, like if aliens came down and you made them watch Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber videos all day and they created an approximation that wasn't quite "right", like the Japanese department store display at Christmas with the crucified Santa Claus.)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1509 on: March 19, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »
like if aliens came down and you made them watch Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber videos all day and they created an approximation that wasn't quite "right"

Wait, I thought that was how we got those two in the first place.

You're right about the news, though.  Manufactured bullshit spun out of half-assed work done by the AP and Reuters.

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #1510 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:14 AM »
Here's one of the other girls from the video - I saw the animated .gif of her with the accordion and it was pretty funny.
They're handling this very well for 13 year old girls. I'm impressed, I have to say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc9Pr4MluGU
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1511 on: March 20, 2011, 08:32:38 AM »
She's pretty well-spoken for a 13-year-old.  Ums and ers, but coherent and linear, and her diction is much better than average.

It's funny how kids who are at that age where they can't wait to be older so often do the thing she does where she says they're 13 but "will be turning 14 this year".  Yep.  That's how it works . . . .  I wish, when I was 13, it had occurred to me to say "I'm 13, but I'll be turning 17 this year."

"I will in fact marry you.  All of you."  :lol:  I liked the bit about her driveway, too, and how non-flustered she is responding to people who said she danced weirdly.

edit:  Also, I kept thinking "wingback chair for the win!" but that upholstery!  Ugh.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #1512 on: March 20, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
like the Japanese department store display at Christmas with the crucified Santa Claus.

:lol:

I had not heard of this.

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #1513 on: March 20, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »
Caro Emerald. Heard her everywhere in Italy and was intrigued.

And BTW, yes please.
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1514 on: March 21, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
And here it is without autotune.

Equally robotic and scary!