Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 190117 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2040 on: October 05, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »
It's worth a shot.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2041 on: October 12, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
Steve Albini sessions of Cheap Trick pretty heavy :headbang: \m/ \m/
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2042 on: October 13, 2018, 10:18:55 AM »
I never bought any Cheap Trick CDs, but I might have bought that, back in the day. Probably sounds awesome uncompressed on a good system.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2043 on: October 16, 2018, 05:13:53 PM »
Whoa, that's interesting. What's the story behind this?
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2044 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
Don't know.  Maybe one of them bought the Songs About Fucking LP because of the cover.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2045 on: October 17, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
I had never heard of it either, until flipper posted and I looked it up:

Quote from: wikipedia
In Color was re-recorded by the band in 1998 with producer Steve Albini. The band's intention was to record the album on their own terms and for the songs to sound the way that they had originally intended. However, the album was never officially completed or released, but it was leaked onto the internet along with a handful of other tracks recorded during the same session.

In September 2008, the re-recorded version of "Hello There" was featured as a playable song in the video game Rock Band 2, raising suspicions that the album may have been finished.

"Oh Boy," the B-side of the single "I Want You to Want Me" was re-recorded with vocals in 1980. It was released in 2003 on the "Oh Boy (Demo)/If You Want My Love (Demo)" promotional seven-inch vinyl record.

In April 2010, Rick Nielsen confirmed to the online music site Spinner that the band had in fact finished re-recording the album and planned to release the new version in "the not so distant future".[6]

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2046 on: December 19, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
It's somehow slightly embarrassing, but at work we've been going through an addiction to X Factor / [Somewhere's] Got Talent sorts of auditions, specifically ones that go better than the judges expect.

I'm so out of so much of pop culture that I often have no idea who half of the judges are, and often I don't know the songs the contestants are covering, but it doesn't really matter.  It does sometimes make me look up the original versions, and sometimes I've heard them on the radio.

The point is, what it's really hammered home is how much I hate a lot of current pop music production styling.  I mean, I sort of thought I disliked it, but watching YouTube covers of pop songs often leaves me thinking that I hated that song, but actually it's a really decent song.  :hmm:

Often an amateur doing a fairly simple version of it with minimal backing makes the song sound several times better than half a million dollars of professional production.  And I doubt that the major recording artists are bad singers, per se.  I never liked "Fight Song" or "Girl on Fire" until I heard frickin' children sing them on TV against cheesy Casio keyboard orchestration.

Also, can I say, I listen to broad-taste pop music radio stations much of the time, partly because it's what there is, here, and yet I'd never heard Robyn's "Dancing on My Own" or Andra Day's "Rise Up" until I heard contestants cover them over and over again.  They seem popular, but maybe it's the gulf between radio and YouTube?

Watching those shows, though.  Man, half of them have SUCH TERRIBLE FORMATS where it's not a question of if people have talent or will the audience be entertained, but just how much pressure and disappointment can we apply to people who are trying to start a performance career.  I think The Voice is the absolute worst about that.  It has good auditions, except they're usually cut short, but what follows . . . they might as well have the judges wear blindfolds and throw darts at the performers until they have to run away.  :harumph:

Also, half those contestants, it's just like . . . I must go to Wikipedia and find out if they've been signed to a contract.  Surely they're professional recording artists now.  Right?  Surely.  :nonplused:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2047 on: December 19, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »
. . . they might as well have the judges wear blindfolds and throw darts at the performers until they have to run away.  :harumph:

This is what it would take to get me to watch one of those shows.

I'm about 20 years out of touch with music. I'm a little curious if there's anything popular I would like out there. I don't even understand how that industry works anymore.

Lately I've been listening to a Small Faces greatest hits CD, music that's almost older than me.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2048 on: December 20, 2018, 02:44:27 PM »
I might watch that.  Or even better blindfold the judges and go all Milgram experiment on them.

My son has been exposing me to some contemporary commercial alt-rock and pop and some of it has grown on me Foster the People and Portugal the Man come to mind.  I'm totally out of touch with most other genres except for my friends' bands who I still go and see.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2049 on: December 21, 2018, 01:49:10 AM »
I have had some occasion for long car rides with my youngest in the last few years and I gotta say one group that has really jumped out at me is BROCKHAMPTON (I think they are all-caps, i'm not that enthusiastic). Very cool shit.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2050 on: December 21, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
I guess what I meant was I wonder if thereís any new traditional music, where instruments play a part equal to vocals, where the instruments are not just a rhythm track for the vocals.

I just wonder if thereís a market for that type music anymore, and if it gets broadcast. I get the impression that itís a tiny percentage, not large enough to warrant radio stations. I know oldies stations exist, still playing the same 10 songs theyíve been playing forever, but I donít know of any stations playing new music.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2051 on: January 05, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
Another thing that I've noticed from the shows -- aside from how little I realized I'd actually heard songs by Imagine Dragons :eyeroll: -- is that a lot of people want to audition using songs that I would recommend that you not use at an audition.

Everybody wants to do "Hallelujah" and Adele and "Rise Up" and "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman" and "Let It Go" and Calum Scott's version of the Kings of Leon version of Robyn's "Dancing By Myself".  These are understandable, although I suspect judges get sick of hearing "Hallelujah" constantly.  And "Natural Woman" and "Let It Go" are perhaps more difficult to nail than people realize.

BUT.

- "This Woman's Work" -- Honestly, Kate Bush can make this song sound good.  Maxwell's version is a hell of a stab at it, but personally I think it's about 50% great and 50% interesting.  I've heard about a dozen amateur renditions now, and . . . maybe leave this one to Kate Bush.

- "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" -- Not sure I've heard the Jennifer Hudson original.  I've heard some amazing audition versions, but . . . it still made me think another song would've been a better choice.  Especially if there's an audience behind the judges for you to rouse up.

- "Sex on Fire" -- I'm not even completely sure why, but every audition rendition of this that I've seen has been a near wreck.  Sometimes people are trying to imitate the dude's vocal style too much, and sometimes the 1991 Karaoke Bar backing music is just way too weak, and sometimes . . . it just doesn't work.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2052 on: January 05, 2019, 12:42:08 PM »
Also?  This is why The Voice is terrible, right here. 

Don't make these kids sing together so you can pick one and eject the others from the contest.  Keep them together as a band, sign them immediately, and make millions of dollars:

Three Dutch kids DESTROY "Demons"

Don't shut up and take my money.

Anyway, apparently whichever kid made it out of this "battle" was eliminated afterward.  :whatever:

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2053 on: January 10, 2019, 10:39:13 PM »
Do any of these winners ever make any money in music other than that Kelly Clarkson person?  I'm under the impression they are all discarded and probably never heard again from after their first release.  But then again I have no basis for this impression since I don't watch them and don't listen to whatever is popular at the moment.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2054 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:05 PM »
I haven't wiki'ed them all, but some go on to release an album or two.  A lot of them get dropped by their label in their first year.  A lot vanish immediately, or are on YouTube doing covers and occasionally original material.

I think that's a combination of things:

- The shows are 90% exploitation, and hopefully the contestants know that.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with choosing to be exploited.  I mean, that's how most jobs work.  But if you buy the hype that the shows are all about discovering talent, etc, you may be crushed.

- If you win and get a recording contract, the label is probably thinking A naive person has just rocketed to fame!  Let's strike while their iron is hot.  MOST of those people are not magically going to be cut out to be recording artists, which is an entirely different thing from being a good performer in a talent show or on YouTube.  The studio is gonna say Do this, do that -- no, not like you want to do it, but like we say. and so on.  There's going to be pressure to do a cover you might not like, or to produce more original material, or your material will be rejected.  They're gonna want you to do promotional appearances, and maybe to tour, or maybe they'll forbid you to tour, and so on.

- A lot of people who do well on those shows don't even want to make music their whole life. 

I think of Susan Boyle.  I GUARANTEE the label was thinking, We'll get one or MAYBE two passable albums out of her before she implodes or the public loses interest.  Hurry up and then cut her.  And I bet that happens a whole lot.  A big label isn't opposed to finding a bankable, sustainable, reliable new talent, but they're not expecting it.  The shows are a gimmick.

I still enjoy watching people do an audition in front of a huge audience and celebrity judges, kick ass, and receive accolades.  It's marvelous.  It's like going in for an ordinary job interview and being named CEO.  Or going on a blind date and meeting a solid all-around 10 who likes you.  And the exposure obviously can be good.

I may have mentioned before, but a friend of mine was in a professional men's singing group one summer, and they were AMAZING.  There were like a dozen dudes in the group, and probably ten of them were :trance: amazing singers.  And I don't think a single one of them was interested in pursuing a singing career.  It was just a thing they did on the side, or over the summer, or for the hell of it.

Conversely, a lot of pop stars are not really terrific singers, although that isn't always a handicap.  Dylan and Springsteen are never gonna sing opera, but they know how to work it.  Springsteen is like a textbook case of knowing what you can and can't do and playing to your strengths.  Meanwhile, there are a lot of people with amazing voices who make atrocious stylistic choices constantly, although I'm sure it's often at the direction of a producer or coach or whatever.  And plenty of people have amazing voices that are nonetheless too fragile to withstand a three-month tour of repeated performances.

The funny thing, to me, is that nowadays you can make serious money by posting songs on YouTube, and to hell with the big labels.  Some YouTube stars do go on to sign contracts, with mixed success, but I do think and kind of hope that we're moving to a more audience-selected deal.  Of course, there will still be businesspeople massaging the system, and there will be great acts who just can't seem to catch on with the wider public, same as always.  But the cost of putting your schtick out there for people to experience has dropped enormously, and that's cool.

Occasionally, the TV judges (even Simon Cowell) say things like No matter what happens with this show, you can have a career in music if you just don't give up.  And that's cool.