Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 190871 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #2055 on: January 14, 2019, 04:10:06 PM »
I have been listening to Khruangbin a hell of a lot lately and I am deeply in love with Mark Speer's oceans-of-reverb tone and Laura Lee's glitter-lipstick groove. And they're Texicans, so I'm seriously wondering if they might be Friends of Post.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2056 on: January 19, 2019, 05:16:48 PM »
I want to make a joke about the drummer and bangs, but I can't get it together.

Anyway, it's calming music for troubling times.  :thumbsup:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2057 on: February 16, 2019, 04:50:34 PM »
The chain of related media stuff led me to the music video for a song called "Run-Away" by Super Furry Animals, a band I don't think I'd heard of.

The song is very catchy and is apparently from 2007.  I'm slowly listening to some of their other stuff.  It sounds like it takes some listening to.  It might be the kind of thing you really love after you've heard it four or five times.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2058 on: February 16, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »
The chain of related media stuff...

So it's not a coincidence that Matt Berry is in that, right?

I've heard that band name, but I'm not familiar with them. I'm liking The Very Best of Neil Diamond at the moment, especially the name.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2059 on: February 18, 2019, 03:36:16 PM »
So it's not a coincidence that Matt Berry is in that, right?

Yeah, it was directed by Richard Ayoade.

I was listening to Foreigner's Records in the car, because whatever, and . . . OK, so the version of "Hot Blooded" on Records is a live version from a concert, but I would SWEAR that the version on my CD is, uh, not the version that used to be on there.

I mean, that's not likely, bordering impossible.  But I swear it's a different version, and not even all that close.  It's [ sigh ] possible that I own two different CDs of Records, bought many years apart, and they could be different.  Wikipedia doesn't seem to believe that there's more than one version of Records out there . . . but they do say that if you buy it on iTunes, you get a studio version of "Hot Blooded".

This is incredibly unimportant, but very Unintended Alternate Universe annoying.  :nonplused:

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #2060 on: February 18, 2019, 07:02:33 PM »
I occasionally here stuff that I'd swear has been remastered or remixed. I think it happens more often than you might think.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2061 on: February 25, 2019, 04:56:07 PM »
I was listening to Foreigner's Records in the car, because whatever, and . . . OK, so the version of "Hot Blooded" on Records is a live version from a concert, but I would SWEAR that the version on my CD is, uh, not the version that used to be on there.

I mean, that's not likely, bordering impossible.  But I swear it's a different version, and not even all that close.  It's [ sigh ] possible that I own two different CDs of Records, bought many years apart, and they could be different.  Wikipedia doesn't seem to believe that there's more than one version of Records out there . . . but they do say that if you buy it on iTunes, you get a studio version of "Hot Blooded".

This is incredibly unimportant, but very Unintended Alternate Universe annoying.  :nonplused:

Cookieface?
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #2062 on: February 25, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
:trance:

That would . . . be amazing.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #2063 on: February 26, 2019, 01:30:06 AM »
I occasionally here stuff that I'd swear has been remastered or remixed. I think it happens more often than you might think.

Oh, man I ran across a remastered Machine Head recently on YouTube and it sounded just as I remembered ... until the guitar solos, which were all different. Like, completely! Obviously still Blackmore, but it's like whoever did the remastering was like "ah, this take's better, I'll use that one." Everything else was the same. Disconcerting as heck!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2064 on: February 26, 2019, 12:41:56 PM »
Victims Family did that to me when they remastered and re-released White Bread Blues.  After turbillions of listens of both, the remastered one is actually better, but it took awhile.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

slippy

• Trusted
  • (may behave erratically)
« Reply #2065 on: April 01, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
More music is more better.
My tastes have both changed and remained the same over the years.
That is to say, there's stuff I like now that I couldn't imagine liking 10 years ago, things I used to like then but don't now, and things I always have and always will like.
Which is all...pretty normal, I suppose, in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, as for what I'm listening to right now - if any of you have any taste for neo-psychedelic weirdness, try these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Eyxa5e72E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-RAoy1jY

The whole album has a solid sound, and the second link above features a delightfully odd voiceover by - Elijah Wood?
Bonus? The bass player has one of my favorite bass tones ever. Delightfully woody.

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #2066 on: April 02, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »
Do any of these winners ever make any money in music other than that Kelly Clarkson person?  I'm under the impression they are all discarded and probably never heard again from after their first release.  But then again I have no basis for this impression since I don't watch them and don't listen to whatever is popular at the moment.

She and Carrie Underwood are definitely the biggest performers to come out of this crop of shows. I'm not sure Kelly even won her season - didn't she come in second to Justin Guarini? (I am far too online) *googles* Oh no, she won. Good for her.
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

Talix

• AKA Dollbutt
  • Global Moderator
  • Needs a chaperone
    • Tumbling the Tree
« Reply #2067 on: April 02, 2019, 08:01:57 AM »
I guess what I meant was I wonder if thereís any new traditional music, where instruments play a part equal to vocals, where the instruments are not just a rhythm track for the vocals.

I just wonder if thereís a market for that type music anymore, and if it gets broadcast. I get the impression that itís a tiny percentage, not large enough to warrant radio stations. I know oldies stations exist, still playing the same 10 songs theyíve been playing forever, but I donít know of any stations playing new music.

The current band recommended to me by someone whose taste you'd respect is Greta Van Fleet. If Led Zeppelin and Ann Wilson had a baby, it would be this band. As far as what's played where, I have no clue. My last new (to me) music finds came from Prairie Home Companion/Live From Here. (Anyone who isn't familiar with Chris Thile's particular genius should get right with the gods.)
"If you need Grover to explain "under", you're not ready for Playboy."
"Maybe you should learn to use commas, first, and then toy with pregnancy as a rhetorical act."
"Magical invisible high-pressure lightning fluid in your walls?  No problem."
"I am a light to the world." - Random Axe

"These are strange and mysterious times, and we must move in strange and mysterious ways." - mrcookieface

"I grow less interesting every year." - Hmof

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #2068 on: April 02, 2019, 11:45:38 PM »
The kid is big into the current alt-rock.  He loves 21 Pilots, Panic at the Disco, Foster the People, etc.  Thankfully all the other stuff I've played for him over the years has stuck.  He'll play stuff like Sam Cooke followed by Motorhead still.