Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 194808 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #405 on: September 25, 2007, 05:08:08 PM »
I have yet to hear good music that didn't sound better with properly augmented bass, but I'm pretty rheotaxic.  I hated graphic equalizers in the late 80s.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #406 on: September 25, 2007, 05:12:25 PM »
I hated graphic equalizers in the late 80s.

Why?
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #407 on: September 25, 2007, 05:19:51 PM »
song: Black Moon Creeping
artist: The Black Crowes
album: The Southern Harmony and something something something
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #408 on: September 25, 2007, 05:25:38 PM »
Why?

In the second half of the 80s, into the early 90s, if you went to a party, like 80% of the time the equalizer would have the bass turned down and the high end up.  People still thought Dolby Noise Reduction was cool.  It was an age of tinny frazzle bullshit.

Not that jackass no-resolution overbass doesn't suck, too.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #409 on: September 25, 2007, 05:51:03 PM »
Ah, ok, I see. I thought maybe you were one of those purists that thinks there's no need for equalizers. I guess in a perfect room with the perfect equipment, but I've never been that fortunate. And yes, an equalizer in the wrong hands can be deadly. On the other hand, anyone's hands but mine are the wrong hands  ;)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #410 on: September 25, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »
I can't use an equalizer worth shit. I just turn everything up all the way.

Is that bad?
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #411 on: September 25, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »
I thought maybe you were one of those purists that thinks there's no need for equalizers.

:lol:  No, I'm the kind of purist who refuses to buy a music box whose graphic equalizer is all graphic and no equalizer.  Presets can suck a gila monster.  Funny dancing lights are for people on ecstasy.  Give me actual analog knobs (at least three) or maybe sliders and cut the crap.  I know analog controls cost slightly more, but if you're charging me $100 or more for a piece of junk anyway, belly up to the bar, you chicken-molesting asswipes.

Anyway . . . I'm not a snob.  I just like what I like.  Neither the Jazz nor Rock nor Pop nor Stadium presets are going to make me happy.  Not even Xplode will.  Just give me the damn remote.

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #412 on: September 25, 2007, 07:39:13 PM »
If I'm going to fantasize (and I will just to annoy you), I'd like to have stored the equalization parameters for my system along with the music so that the system can balance for each song as it comes up.

Yeah, it's probably out there for mega bucks. I just like the idea.
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #413 on: September 25, 2007, 09:03:56 PM »
They have teh Forum on NPR now?

:hmm:

Locally produced show on KQED

And it turns out I was mistaken.  At that time it would have been Talk of the Nation.  Forum was on earlier in the morning.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #414 on: September 25, 2007, 09:43:05 PM »
I can't use an equalizer worth shit. I just turn everything up all the way.

Is that bad?

I like it when it's recorded in Dubly.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #415 on: October 10, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »
The new Radiohead -- which, I hope, is the album that kills the recording industry's current business model.

It's a gorgeous album, more crafted than recorded. I'm happy to have thrown $20 at them for it. It's a steal. And I have an unabashed man crush on Jonny Greenwood.
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #416 on: October 10, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »
The new Radiohead -- which, I hope, is the album that kills the recording industry's current business model.

It's a gorgeous album, more crafted than recorded. I'm happy to have thrown $20 at them for it. It's a steal. And I have an unabashed man crush on Jonny Greenwood.

Out of curiosity, how much did you throw at them?
I'm trying to figure this one out myself.

"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2007, 07:26:11 PM »
...that kills the recording industry's current business model.

I've got some bad news for you, dogbone, you might want to sit down.

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #418 on: October 10, 2007, 08:26:42 PM »
A man can dream.

I threw $20 at them. I wanted to support the experiment as much as anything. And I respect what they've been doing musically for the last decade. They're the one band I can point to that has consistently pushed themselves independently of whatever the trend might be at the time.
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #419 on: October 10, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
...that kills the recording industry's current business model.

I like your moxie, dogbone. Unfortunately, i get emails like this everyday:

The American Federation of Musicians of the United States and Canada (AFM) and other performer organizations in the musicFIRST Coalition spurned the National Association of Broadcasters’s recent call for hearings on the relationship between artists and labels.  “Performers aren’t fooled by NAB’s purported offer to fight our record company battles for us,” said AFM President Thomas F. Lee.  “It is nothing but a red herring.  Corporate radio built its industry by playing recorded music, and fundamental fairness dictates that it should compensate performers for their valuable contribution to radio revenues.”

The AFM, together with AFTRA, the Music Managers’ Forum, the Recording Academy and the Recording Artists’ Coalition – all members of the musicFIRST Coalition – delivered the following message in a letter yesterday to Congressmen Howard Berman and Howard Coble, to whom the NAB had directed its request for a hearing, making clear that NAB should not be allowed to divert attention from the performers’ campaign to receive fair treatment from radio:

As representatives of tens of thousands of performers, we believe that every industry that derives profit from our creative work should share some of that value with us.  Yes, that means record labels.  But it also means corporate radio.  Radio has built a twenty billion dollar industry based on advertising revenue that it generates because its listeners tune in to our music.  It is only fair that the creators of the music, songwriters and recording performers, should share in that value.  The new digital music services like internet and satellite radio pay performers.  Now it finally is time for corporate radio to compensate performers, too.  The NAB’s decades of free riding off our work should finally come to an end.

It is no secret – we frequently fight with recording companies over compensation and other issues.  But even if we never had a bone to pick with record labels, and every record deal and union contract met our every demand, it would still be fair for corporate radio to compensate us for using our work to build their industry.

In this case the record companies (Time Warner) are the lesser of two evils compared to the radio industry (Clear Channel).  :whatever:
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."