Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 194806 times)

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #420 on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:29 AM »
Exhibit A) The NAB is chock full of idiots. I know those people. They're the ones who decided to mandate a switch to digital to combat the loss of audience to cable and satellite, and then mandated a transmission standard (8VSB) that had trouble doing fun stuff like "be received inside of a building." These are the same people who have brought you the "we don't perceive an audience loss to online content" and "satellite radio is just a fad" statements. They're  Chicken Little AND the proverbial ostrich with his head in the sand, just like any other industry representative.

Exhibit B) I've been nothing but encouraged at the willingness of artists to cut out the deep pockets, be it by signing with a smaller label who is more responsive and respectful of their needs and wishes, or to take their music directly to the listening audience via online avenues, or both. I think that the discerning audiences (anyone over the age of 16) is increasingly aware of the difference between a studio creation (Hi Britney!) and a artist with something to say. As it becomes easier to find those artists (satellite, MySpace, torrents, etc.), their audiences build.

For someone like Radiohead to lead the way and cut out labels altogether is absolutely huge. It's a stamp of approval from a band that is universally respected and, more importantly, not struggling. Big, successful, and independent.
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #421 on: October 11, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »
I haven't gotten hooked by Radiohead yet, but I've bought Aimee Mann CDs, and her husband's, there.  What's-his-face.

ClearChannel is so fundamentally anti-American that their board ought to be exiled to North Korea, lock, stock, and full-of-shit barrels.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #422 on: October 11, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
I haven't gotten hooked by Radiohead yet, but I've bought Aimee Mann CDs, and her husband's, there.  What's-his-face.

ClearChannel is so fundamentally anti-American that their board ought to be exiled to North Korea, lock, stock, and full-of-shit barrels.

Michael Penn. Great stuff, huh? I kick myself that I've missed out on the last two times they've shown up here. Yes, together.

And I like Radiohead as much as the next guy, but if they don't actually put some songs on there instead of their usual stream-of-consciousness wankery indicative of the last few albums... :spank:

But hey, Thom Yorke's solo album was really good, so I guess we'll see.

the other andrea

• Global Moderator
  • laughing in Mongolia
« Reply #423 on: October 11, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »
i was confused by that email because I thought that radio already paid royalties for the music they play. Is it just to record companies, or don't the musicians get a kickback from it too?
"I'm only going to ask you once more. Sit down or I will kick you in the vagina, and you know I will."

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »
http://www.angiemattson.com - Drive
She signed the CD we ordered  :P
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

Stoater

« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2007, 11:44:16 AM »
 :shock:

That certainly was something.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2007, 11:47:51 AM »
I'll have to check both of them out later, but she shore is hawt, stormneedle...:googily:

Edit: wow.

She's playing in Tacoma tomorrow night.

TACOMA??? She should be at the Tractor here in Ballard...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 11:49:35 AM by whidB »

TFJ

• Trusted
  • j00 no it
    • wes bite
« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2007, 12:15:35 PM »
:shock:

That certainly was something.

i fucking can not STOP WATCHING iT!11hoi ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh kill me now~!!~

:lol:
That almost makes me want a whole in my ear.
Maybe I could stick one in my belly button. - mo
Get rid of the eyeliner, and it's about the same either way. - aXe

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2007, 12:48:23 PM »
The new Radiohead -- which, I hope, is the album that kills the recording industry's current business model.

It's a gorgeous album, more crafted than recorded. I'm happy to have thrown $20 at them for it. It's a steal. And I have an unabashed man crush on Jonny Greenwood.

I threw $20 at them. I wanted to support the experiment as much as anything. And I respect what they've been doing musically for the last decade. They're the one band I can point to that has consistently pushed themselves independently of whatever the trend might be at the time.

For someone like Radiohead to lead the way and cut out labels altogether is absolutely huge. It's a stamp of approval from a band that is universally respected and, more importantly, not struggling. Big, successful, and independent.

Everything he said.

I also paid $20. At the very least it's an experiment that needs support. If only as a Fuck You to the people who've been charging the most they can get for music that they had nothing to do with creating and paying the artists that did as little as they can (after the rediculously high interest payments on the loans to pay for the studio time to make the music in the first place).

The suits have the starving artists over the barrel and have been taking full advantage of that fact for decades. It's time the favor was repaid. Digital music and the internet makes them largly obsolete (at least in traditional form) and the power is shifting. Lube up, boys.

Besides, knowing that the band got pretty much all of that money makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Considering how much I enjoy their entire body of work, I'm still way ahead on the deal.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2007, 12:54:07 PM »
I'm listening to my solarpowered fountain turn on and off (it's partly cloudy)

Very soothing. (headache)

I have a guitar in my lap but certain notes make my head scream right now and I'm not feeling scientific enough to map them.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
I have a guitar in my lap but certain notes make my head scream right now and I'm not feeling scientific enough to map them.

:lol:

Halfway through that sentence I was thinking you should map them.

I'd put money on either phi or Fibonacci showing up somewhere in the pattern.

Do it for Science!
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

DM

• Trusted
  • DM Here
    • Dangermonk.com
« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2007, 01:37:05 PM »
Assemblage23 - Early Rare and Unreleased 1988-1998 Limited Edition

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2007, 04:26:46 PM »
Ah yes. She's from Lawrence.

I think Whid did her. That's why she's like that.

Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.