Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 194817 times)

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
Re: What are you listening to?
« Reply #1200 on: May 08, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
Went to see a show in Zorgo's old haunt last night.  The venue The Crepe Place on Soquel over by the whole paycheck foods.  The bands:

Stripmall Architecture-formerly Halou and they were fabulous as usual, sans Erica the cellist but their performers are usually 5+/-2 so this is par for the course.
Mountain Animal Hospital-musically sound, but the front man was annoying and it would have been more enjoyable as a three piece.  The other guitarist played finger-style electric.  Not something you see everyday.
Oso-Great show.  And another connection to Zorgo they're out of Santa Barbaria.  Check them out!  They are a four piece and feature a violinist/fiddler and are put on an electirc/accoustic sandwich with accoustic as the bread and electric as the filling.  For the bread parts, the guitarist plays while riding a unicycle!  The music is kind of a Victim's Family-esque thrash take on traditional folk music.  The crowd was frenetic.  I'm glad I suffered through the middle band's horrible front man and sacrificed sleep to stay for this set.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1201 on: May 08, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
Bedtime for Democracy at near max volume with the windows open.

Since I don't have a sax or hurdy gurdy or set of pipes. Yet.
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1202 on: May 08, 2009, 04:35:04 PM »
Well that's over. I forgot I had Joe's Garage loaded next. I'm sure The Great Scrutinizer is puzzling their country-music-listening asses.

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #1203 on: May 08, 2009, 10:06:26 PM »
Oso! the units know one of those guys. They're great! Cool!
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1204 on: May 11, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
Go see them.  They're fantastic!
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

dogbone

• Trusted
  • Rollerboogie Motherfucker
« Reply #1205 on: May 14, 2009, 06:33:57 AM »
Being a wiseass in a groupthink environment is like throwing an egg at a bulldozer.

unclejessie

« Reply #1206 on: May 14, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »
Google 'Black Cab Sessions'. Videos of musicians in the back of a taxi in London.

vox8

• Trusted
« Reply #1207 on: May 14, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »
The Aggrolites on Yo Gabba Gabba?

WTF?

That's the banana song! I have been singing it for almost a year. I have no idea who the Aggrolites are, but I am familiar with that clip.
"...so I'm pretty sure vox is right." - random axe, 12/11/12

Free dog souls with conversion.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #1208 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »
Google 'Black Cab Sessions'. Videos of musicians in the back of a taxi in London.

Black Cab Sessions are like potato chips.  You can't watch just one.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1209 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
I was at the secondhand media store, buying some cheap DVDs, and instead of the usual graveyard protest metal they normally play they were playing something odd.  It sounded like Spacehog got into a car accident with The Beautiful South.  After three tracks, I was seriously WTF who are these guys.  Then they switched to some kind of thrashy metal stuff.

I went over to the counter and said, "Who was that you were playing?"

"What, the last track?  Or the one before?"

"Maybe a couple of tracks ago?  You played three or four sarcastic melodramatic modern prog rock tracks in a row that had to have been the same artist."

"Oh.  Maybe . . . Ween?"

What, they don't know?

Anyway, I remembered enough of the lyrics to one song (Buckingham Green) to come back here and confirm, yeah, it's Ween.  Huh.

mrcookieface

• Trusted
« Reply #1210 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:12 PM »
I love how Ween jumps effortlessly from one genre to another just because they can, and they do it so well.

:thumbsup:

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #1211 on: June 05, 2009, 12:02:31 AM »
Some of my friends are broadcasting live from their weekly in Dallas right now...http://everydayjunglist.org/

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #1212 on: June 05, 2009, 10:09:04 AM »
Last night, in the car, I was switching stations, and the hard rock station was playing . . . no, it CAN'T be . . . but it was . . . a post-grunge rock version of Careless Whisper, apparently by Seether.

That was pretty WTF.  Frankly, you'd think they would have altered it further.  A little rasp, an occasional faint scream, guitar picking up the sax . . . no, that's still 80% Wham, my friends.  Not as rocky as you probably intended.

edit:  It was still catchy, though.  Don't get me wrong.  But it seemed more like it was for people who can't admit they ever liked anything by George Michael than it was a reimagining of the song.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #1213 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:22 PM »
All the Dangermonk songs on my iPod.  Good stuff.  Previously I was listening to Lacerda's Mad Bitchez Disgruntled Hos.

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #1214 on: June 05, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
Heard from the DM lately?