Author Topic: Member baiting  (Read 87197 times)

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
Member baiting
« on: January 30, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »
This is bait for First Post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

"This fascinating, brilliant 20-minute video narrates the history of the "Amen Break," a six-second drum sample from the b-side of a chart-topping single from 1969. This sample was used extensively in early hiphop and sample-based music, and became the basis for drum-and-bass and jungle music -- a six-second clip that spawned several entire subcultures. Nate Harrison's 2004 video is a meditation on the ownership of culture, the nature of art and creativity, and the history of a remarkable music clip."
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

hajen

• Trusted
Re: Member baiting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
This is bait for First Post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SaFTm2bcac

"This fascinating, brilliant 20-minute video narrates the history of the "Amen Break," a six-second drum sample from the b-side of a chart-topping single from 1969. This sample was used extensively in early hiphop and sample-based music, and became the basis for drum-and-bass and jungle music -- a six-second clip that spawned several entire subcultures. Nate Harrison's 2004 video is a meditation on the ownership of culture, the nature of art and creativity, and the history of a remarkable music clip."

Never heard of it. The Winstons, "Color Him Father" "Amen Brother," any of it... :shrug:

And sometimes I think I know music... :confused:

First Post

• Trusted
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
Thanks hajen! I was aware of that little doc (the kids from Dogs on Acid were all over it when it came out, as that's the amen constituency, heh...cookie posted it in Fark too, I think) but am always happy to see it posted because it's still such a remarkable story.

Imagine a whole, 15+ year (and still going strong) musical genre based almost entirely on a few seconds of a lick you did once on a B-side!

Out of all the record crates here, I bet I could put 10-15 of 'em together consisting of nothing but amen-based tracks (carrying over to dubstep as well)

whid, I think that there's just sooo much music now, in so many subgenres. Part of my job as a dj is to sift through a bunch of it and bring people what I feel is the best of the style. Please nobody take this wrong, but I've given this a little more thought lately after the two arguably most successful musicians here didn't know who REM was. If you're working in a subgenre, that sort of thing is even worse. House music alone is so big that a lot of jocks specialize in microsubsets of it; I know a guy that spins nothing but French house and another guy who only plays San Francisco minimal-style house and another guy who spins Baltimore Club. I couldn't begin to keep up with all those releases. It's like that Fark thread about anticipated new music releases where most of the posts proudly stated that they had never heard of any of the artists (incl. Weezer, for crissake). Part of the problem with music these days might be that people feel sort of overwhelmed by the numbers.

(as for The Winstons in particular, that's more along the "rare groove", crate-diggin' culture, combing through the old releases to find a magic moment to sample. Here's DJ Shadow doing it...I totally can relate.)

Stoater

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »

Sidious

• Trusted
  • Good, I can feel your anger.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 06:17:01 PM »
Heh.  You said "member".
Rich people won't kill the rest of us off until there are really good robots.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 06:19:19 PM »
:knotty:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »
Part of the problem with music these days might be that people feel sort of overwhelmed by the numbers.

I've said something similar to that before. It's both a curse and blessing at the same time. It's a blessing that so many artists have access to making a recording, but it's a curse in that it's hard to be seen among the crowd. I hear songs on the local college station that sound awesome, but i don't catch the name of the band, and then I never hear it again. The station is actually kind of proud of that - nothing stays in rotation very long at all.

I find your posts fascinating, First Post. Musically, I think you're in a different world from most of us, and I say that as a compliment. You're aware of the musicians we're all familiar with, but you also know of a whole different... subculture(?) of music that I don't think many of us know much about. I'd love to learn more about some of things you know. I wish you would start a thread that listed all these different genres with links to vids that were exemplary of the genre. Yes, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter  :P
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
Sign me up too :detta:
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:39:30 PM »
Imagine a whole, 15+ year (and still going strong) musical genre based almost entirely on a few seconds of a lick you did once on a B-side!

She said she'd never tell!

mo

• Global Moderator
    • x
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:59 PM »
Here's the rotation chart (two weeks shown on this page) for the radio station I was talking about.

I recognize Wire and Nick Cave. Everything else :shrug:
It's symbolic of our struggle against reality.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
I know that one song by Band of Horses.

And I've heard of Nick Cave.

And the software company I used to work for had a major office in King of Prussia.

hajen

• Trusted
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
Heh.  You said "member".

I knew it'd make ya look.

whid, I think that there's just sooo much music now, in so many subgenres.

I had a feeling you might know about it already. Really it just fascinated me. I love music but my taste/knowledge is hardly obscure. And I love little stories like this. There is so much out there, heh, to refer to a MeFi cliche, "the long tail", I find myself in over my head very quickly.

Here's the rotation chart (two weeks shown on this page) for the radio station I was talking about.

I recognize Wire and Nick Cave. Everything else :shrug:

This is why I have been enjoying Radio Paradise. They play enough that I *do* know so I keep listening, and enough that I don't know, with links and info to follow it up. My list of songs to download has grown *thatmuch*. If I try to listen to something where I don't know any of it, I can't. And I hate it when I hear something I like but then I have no idea how to find it...

I find your posts fascinating,First Post. Musically, I think you're in a different world from most of us, and I say that as a compliment. You're aware of the musicians we're all familiar with, but you also know of a whole different... subculture(?) of music that I don't think many of us know much about. I'd love to learn more about some of things you know. I wish you would start a thread that listed all these different genres with links to vids that were exemplary of the genre. Yes, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter  :P

What he said.

For instance, back with the ex, he loved (and made) electronic music, so I got dragged to rave parties and such. Hated them mostly, because I didn't like the music (and they didn't have drinks available. Pfft). I didn't like a lot of it because it's too - cold - doesn't have hookiness for me - it's very repetitive.... but I do like stuff with heavy beats, I like some drum and bass, and I never know where to begin to find more of what I like. Even about the stuff I don't like, I still like learning about it - I enjoyed that "guide to electronic music" that was linked around a bunch a few years ago, that was great.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 10:35:52 PM »
I've also heard of Ghostface Killah.  But that's all.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:36:19 PM »
That Amen Break video was awesome. It certainly makes one think about copyright issues.

Put me on the mailing list for your newsletter too, Posty.

And the software company I used to work for had a major office in King of Prussia.

PA?

That's like ten minutes from me.
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof