Author Topic: More News You Really Don't Need  (Read 189096 times)

Encino Man

• Trusted
Re: More News You Really Don't Need
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
Srsly. Wtf?

Isn't the US congress controlled by the Dems? How the fuck could this legislation pass?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/index.html

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
If Congress were opera, the Democrats would be the castrati soprani...

It's extremely uncool in this country to dis on the military in any fashion. Doing so makes one an Amurrica Hater.

Still, Berkeley should have told them to fuck off. I hate it when the Feds use funding as blackmail. This is why the drinking age is 21 in this country--they threatened to cut off Fed highway funding to any state that dared say otherwise.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
I just wish that CA would get it over with and become our own country.  If all our tax money wouldn't go to Washington to be redistributed to flyover states, we wouldn't have to worry about funding.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
I'm just not comfortable with this Union splitting up. States like California help keep the nutcases in check, even though sometimes they certainly bring their own brand of nutcase to the table...I call it "progressive."

If we had a stronger UN, maybe. Maybe Cali and Texas and Alaska splitting from the US would be the catalyst, I don't know.

I do know that I have little to no kinship with any of the states east of the Rockies. They already seem like they're another country...

I like the idea of a United States. It's a good role model in theory. United States of S. America, United States of Europe, Asia...Africa...

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 03:45:35 PM »
The Dems have no balls, organization, or leadership.  Seriously, how they could not learn the proper concept of a party whip from the Pubs during the last twenty years . . . it's a frickin' mystery.  The Republicans mostly toe a simple party line that's directed by one or two Senators (Crazy Chairman Gingrich, for several notable years), but the Democrats are balkanized and pretty hopeless.  One thing that's sad and hilarious is how often ten or twenty of them at any given time will 'cross party lines' in the hopes of 'fostering bipartisan cooperation'.  The GOP leadership must laugh and laugh at that every damned time.

The GOP isn't a model of efficiency, either -- they spend WAY too much time and energy courting fringe religious groups, for instance, which wouldn't have any significant power except that the GOP keeps agreeing to give them significant power.  Aside from the Mormons, the religious groups actually don't fork over serious lobbying $$$, and they could be ignored safely . . . except that the GOP keeps putting them up at the podium.  Enough, already.  I mean, what is McCain doing kissing radical evangelical ass?  What, are those people going to vote for Hillary, say, if McCain doesn't pucker up?  Puh-leeze.

As for the Berkeley situation . . . OK, I'm not at all in favor of military recruiting tactics, which routinely consist of, what do you call it, lies.  Not to mention what I personally consider excessive, offensive, anti-American jingoism.  And I think it's OK for private non-land-grant universities and other private organizations to ban recruiters.

But . . . a public town, no.  I don't know if Berkeley is an incorporated whatnot, or what, but the city certainly seems like a public venue, and I don't see any kosher way to ban recruiters.  If you don't like them, and if you think they're bad for kids, the American thing to do is get that message out.  Put out your own propaganda, fine.  Hell, even make enlistment contracts illegal within city limits, if you can -- I'm not sure what the state would allow.

Banning them entirely seems illegitimately discriminatory.  And, yeah, Congress is liable to cut your funding, which is an assholish thing to do but predictable and probably legal.

I do think it's also much more responsible to clearly state what you object to about the military, and about military policy, rather than just using public resources to suggest that you object to the military itself.  I am SO not one of those people who takes any criticism of our policies and activities as an attack on the troops themselves, but when you're using a public pulpit . . . it's not just nicer to be clear, but it's also nipping a lot of shit in the bud, which is what responsible official-type people ought to do.

IF you ask me, which, technically, you didn't, but too bad.

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:47 AM »
http://www.thestar.com/News/Ontario/article/306896

This woman sounds nuuuuuts

But she's playing her cards right. In Canada if you do something wrong and you were born overseas you can claim 'cultural insensitivity' and your critics will go running for the hills.

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 01:17:05 PM »
I'd be inclined to believe it was all a cultural misunderstanding if it weren't for the 200 emails.   :nuts:
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

hajen

• Trusted
  • sharks don't love you back
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 02:22:56 PM »
I dunno, I think I feel kinda sympathetic to her really.
"I find that I am so rarely consulted when it's obvious I needed to be." - Talix
"Oh, god, I'm turning into Axe.  Watch out, people who are wrong on the internet!" - feffer
"I have a hard time taking my hands offline long enough to file my damned nails.  Obviously." - random axe
"Aww, just remember that 'reputation' turns into 'legend' after several years." - mrcookieface

Encino Man

• Trusted
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 02:40:52 PM »
I dunno, I think I feel kinda sympathetic to her really.

I don't use language in emails that can be easily misconstrued. If I was laughing at a bar with a good friend and he pretended to spill something on me I'd say 'Do that and I'll kill you' and we all know that if he did it I would not kill him. If you are someone who has emailed a prominent politician 200 times and then email them again and ask if they received the package given to an aide and if not then when asking about the package, to say about the aide 'I'll kill them' - I can see why she'd be arrested. She says culturally in India you threaten to kill friends and strangers alike all the time and it's all in good fun. I don't believe that. She's hiding behind the screen of alleged multicultural bigotry to get off the hook for being insane and possibly a threat to a civil servant.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
She says culturally in India you threaten to kill friends and strangers alike all the time and it's all in good fun.

I don't know about India's culture, but you've got to admit that it is fun.

flipper

• Ultimate Pick Up Line
  • Global Moderator
  • Criticism Completes Me
    • Myspace
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
Dude, I so want to kill you.
"It all trickles down from the hot sex. I'm not saying you don't need cheese, just that if you concentrate on the hot sex, the cheese will follow. Naturally."--PsiDefect 03-19-2002 11:28 AM

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 06:22:18 PM »
Dude, I so want to kill you.

Nice face. Is it from the ancient gallery?
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

feffer

• Trusted
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »

Aww, that's where I was going.
Cause you're so beautiful
Like a tree
Or a high-class prostitute
You're so beautiful
Mmm, you could be a part-time model
But you'd probably have to keep your normal job

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
:D
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

ivan

• Trusted
  • Icepick made my ears burn.
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »

Aww, that's where I was going.

Down the hall?