Author Topic: Erection discussion  (Read 9551 times)

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
Re: Erection discussion
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2008, 01:01:14 PM »
I don't think that the crazies who would want Obama dead are any more crazy, competent or determined than any other candidate's loons.  Actually, I'd think the Hillary-haters would be more likely.

My thoughts, too.

There's as many crazies as ever, and there are always more than enough.  You may remember the militia guys who were working on a plan to assassinate Clinton with a Bic lighter, a cactus needle, and, what, botulin, I think.  Most nutjobs have no hope at assassinating a President because they're not smart enough / coherent enough to get away with it.  Either their plan is impossible, or they can't keep it a secret.  Back in the day, a crazy guy could pop out of the bushes with a gun or shoot a stumpin' president who was hanging out of the back of a train, but nowadays it's much harder.

Anyway, I still don't think Oswald or Sirhan shot a Kennedy -- I don't pretend to know exactly what happened, but the official stories strike me as far from Most Plausible Explanation.  (Sirhan did shoot at Bobby Kennedy, but he missed.  I think Bobby was shot by the security guard.)

The Presidents who have had attempts on them (that we know of) haven't necessarily been the most-hated ones, anyway.  It's the right kook or conspiracy in the right place at the right time.

I don't know what was up with Reagan's shooting, but Hinckley makes for a strange Lone Nut, what with being a family friend of the Bushes and the son of a Carlyle Group bigwig, and all.

Stoater

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »
I don't know what was up with Reagan's shooting, but Hinckley makes for a strange Lone Nut, what with being a family friend of the Bushes and the son of a Carlyle Group bigwig, and all.

I always reckoned that one was a situation like the Brad Pitt story line in 12 Monkeys. Dude with serious stability issues, but with enough family/money associations to get away with it until he fucked up in a way that couldn't be dealt with quietly.

I'm not implying that corporations go out and pop people, in case that wasn't clear. I'm implying that they have people keeping an eye on shit in case an anonymous "hero" or "tipster" is needed. You know, the guy or gal in the crowd who sees something fishy and alerts the gendarmes.

If I had a multi-billion dollar TNC, you bet your hot cross buns I'd have some goons on the street to watch out for and deal with disturbers of the peace. I would not want my action fucked up by some wonk with a gun and a beef.

whidB

• Trusted
  • Olympic...
    • I'm doing a lot more music these days....
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:26 PM »
I heard something about the Muslims not appreciating him, neither.

I do hope nothing happens to any of them, though.

Have to agree with Andrea about the adulation, too.  Tone it down a bit, mkay?

After eight years of a warmongering maniac in office, it's kind of hard to just take his exit in stride.

And I'm convinced that the only good reason Hillary's dogging Obama so closely in the polls is the whole "experience" red herring. If people would just get over that, she'd shoot straight to the bottom. I believe people feel they're choosing another necessary evil when they consider how much "experience" Hillary has, when it's clear that Obama's been around long enough to know how to be President.

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »
If I had a multi-billion dollar TNC

It would be run much better than most.  Seriously, big business is not a meritocracy except in the most unfortunate Darwinian sense; the people at the top are the people suited to the process that moves people to the top, not the people who would do the best job.  I'm sure some big companies do a good job of massaging their environment, but a lot are stumbling demented giants that persist through inertia and behind the scenes quasi-legal nonsense.

It's always tempting to believe that the corrupt dickwads who have real power are, for one reason or another, doing what's best for all of us, but I tend to doubt it works out that way more than half the time.  For every Warren Buffett there are five thousand Kenny-Boys.

As for Obama's experience . . . if Shrub (who famously admitted he had no qualifications to be governor of Texas, a state with a figurehead governor) was qualified to be President, then Obama can be World Emperor, Pope, and run IBM and Hollywood at the same time.