Author Topic: I'm getting all choked up  (Read 1607 times)

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
I'm getting all choked up
« on: March 07, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
Thanks for building us a room, :hoss:
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

Psidefect

• Administrator
    • Bizarre Confessions
Re: I'm getting all choked up
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Thank you for creating a need for it.

I'm counting on many more atmospheric, oceanic and space-related threads outta you, bub. ;)
“You've got a lot to learn about screwing up your life, pal.” - mrcookieface
“How sad for a marriage to fail because it's not compatible with Windows 31!  But it'll happen.” - random axe
“Not my problem if they don't know how to make magic smoke out of it.” - Stormy
“Dude. That will get you out of TWO family holidaycausts.” - Stoatse
"It is my role in this drama to misunderstand things at top volume." - Hmof

stormneedle

• Trusted
  • Nonsense Stuffer
    • Your page here!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »
It's fun for the land-bound to realize there's a universe out there.

My adjacent universe consists of users. *shudder*
“I'm generalizing from one example here, but everyone generalizes from one example. At least, I do.”

Dr. Leonard HmofCoy

• I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
  • Global Moderator
  • His BRAIN is gone
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
Phil Plait on McCain. Honestly, he's dead to me. I used to like him for bucking the Republican establishment, now he's a whore. But that is for another forum!

Astronomers can lay down the smack when it's required. But you know who you really shouldn't mess with? Ed Lu. Astronaut, aerospace engineer. Has published a paper on how to adjust the orbit of asteroids so they don't bang into Earth (bottom line: nukes are stupid, use ion engines). Of course, if you can adjust them to miss, you can adjust them to hit. Do not piss this man off.
"Parasitic wasps laying eggs in other insects is a better love story than Twilight." - :bitzero:
"Anyhow, it was the best sentient food movie since Killer Tomatoes Eat France." - :flipper:
"lee marvin in drag is no way to spread the gospel, son." - TFJ
"It failed. My enemies have been purged." - Sidious
"It's not like there was ever a time I didn't think Rudy Giuliani was a smug gibbering imbecile." - random axe
"*drags taint* Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that." - mo.d

random axe

• Concerned Netizen
  • Global Moderator
  • Concern Intensifies
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »
bottom line: nukes are stupid, use ion engines

Nukes are the wrong solution, no question, but ion engines are so-so.  The ion engine heavy-mover technology would be great to develop, and useful later, but I still think the bestest and easiest and nearest-term way to do it is to put a big solar-powered laser in orbit.  Hit the asteroid with the laser, and material boils / explodes off, producing thrust.  You still gradually shove the rock into a new trajectory, but you don't have to send a robot out there first or worry about the ion engine getting clogged, etc.  The hardware stays here, where it's easy to maintain.

Of course, that gives you two doomsday weapons (orbiting laser & asteroid dropper) in one, but some people would see that as efficient.  Lu may have thought of an engineering objection to the laser system that I haven't heard of, though.  The laser would have lots of other practical uses, including no-muss skyhook applications (you don't need an orbital elevator to have an orbital elevator).

What can I say?  I like giant solar-powered lasers, so long as they're not shining directly on me or my stuff.